Thursday, March 12, 2009

Visit to the Zoo

We took a trip to the zoo at the end of January with Taylor's Pre-School Class. It ended up snowing the entire time we were there but I just bundled up the girls and they had fun - even in the snow. The great part about going to the zoo in the Winter is that there were about 50 people total. It was great not to have to wait or squeeze in to see the animals. The down-side to going in the Winter is that you don't get to see all of the animals- I guess the elephants don't like being out in the snow, go figure. We did get to see the bears, monkeys, snakes, giraffes, camels, birds, leopards and tigers. I asked the girls which animals they liked the best and they said the giraffes. Ava was fascinated with the monkeys and anything that remotely resembled a kitty. She would smile, point and say "kii-ee" (kitty) to everything.
Inside the Monkey Building, we saw a small Orangutan moving the straw around in his little room. Once he'd cleared a spot on the floor, he began spinning on his back-- like break dancers do. I'd never seen anything like that before and the girls thought it was great. It was fun to see him dancing/playing like that.
When we got to the leopard area there were a few little kids running back and forth in front of the glass. The leopard was watching them and pacing back and forth with them. One of the mothers made the comment "Oh, isn't that so cute? The leopard is playing with my son." Under my breath I commented, "It looks to me like he wants to eat your son for lunch!" Wow, was I grateful for the thick glass separating us from the animals. I did get this cool picture with the girls.




4 comments:

Crystal Taylor said...

Looks like fun! I'm all about the no crowd thing. We went in Feb 2008 and it was awesome. It wasn't snowing, but still pretty chilly. Your girls are so cute! Can't wait to see you guys on Saturday!

Krista Neil said...

We totally need to do that, I don't know the last time we hit a zoo.

Anonymous said...

Oh I miss the zoo. It looks cold, though!

Rachel Doyle said...

Cute!!!